Thursday, April 24, 2008

Remembering Those Who Have Served

This post is more suited to Veterans Day, or Memorial Day or even the 4th of July, but I'm going to do it today.

We got a box this past week from my Grandma. In it she included two photos of the new Alvarado (TX) Veterans Memorial that just got put up in the city where my grandma lives.

Looks like they did a good job.


I started looking at this close up shot she took for me, and I saw arrows pointing to two names I recognize. One is my grandfather, Gerald Sabes (1st column 10 down) and the other my great uncle, Maurice Weeks. (2nd column 2 down) That is too cool!





So I went over to our wall downstairs and looked at this frame my grandfather made for me before he passed away. He made it with his actual metals and patches from his uniform. I'm thankful he made this for me.













Last year, my aunt Jane sent me the flag that covered my grandfathers casket at his funeral. Then not too long ago she sent me a piece of his parachute she had. I hung it in the same shadowbox with the flag with one of the pair of paratrooper wings he gave me. (The hat is my father's, but this is a good place to 'display' it!)





A while back, I made a deal with my great uncle Russell. I swapped him a little .38 revolver for this German Luger pistol he brought back from WWII. So I got a couple of pics of him, bought some actual patches from his Division and Unit and made this little wall hanging.













Then just a couple of weeks ago, I finished this frame of my dad's time in the military.


I think they're a good reminder of those who served the USA in our armed services!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your mom looks sooooo young there, and your dad is so skinny. Wish I were half that thin now. That is a good memorial. Thanks!!!!

Shelly said...

What a nice collection of pictures and gadgets of your family's history. Very neat!