Thursday, September 02, 2004

Worms Eatin' Me Up

Man 'o man! I'm going to put one more day into trying to fix our computer, then if I fail will call "uncle" and take the CPU in to be fixed.

Yesterday did my work thing, then headed home to spend a few minutes with my 3 girls, but my oldest daughter had gotten busted for busting something, so she was put down for a nap. I played with my youngest for a moment or two then talked with Doreen. After I changed my clothes I headed 1.1 mile away to a friend from church who needed help hauling stuff out of the basement for a yard sale today.

Got done with that and headed home for supper then a trip to the grocery store. Doreen told me our computer was fine off-line but when she logged on, it was like it's on super slow motion. After we got back from Wal-mart we simultaneously put the groceries away, emptied the dishwasher and gave the girls baths (divide and conquer is our motto), had worship and put them to bed.

I sat down at the computer and didn't realize I'd finally decide to give up about 1am. But that's what happened. I spent hours on the phone with tech support for Bellsouth (our ISP) and Microsoft's Virus division.

Turns out, talking with Bellsouth we've got a worm. So I call Microsoft and finally can get logged on to a site and do an online scan to find out we've got 3 worms. I clean them all, download window's updates and patches and scan and clean and open and close and do all that stuff and STILL my computer is slower than a Commodore 64 I used in 7th grade. Aye carumba.

When I get home this afternoon - I'll take a short power nap cuz I'm going on 3 hours of sleep - then call tech support again - give 'em my case number and start from square one.

If I ever catch the guy who made these worms, I'm gonna make him eat a gallon of earthworms! :) Well - that's what I'd like to do.

Gotta get back to work!

Later alligators! :)

No comments: