Friday, September 24, 2004

On Being A Single Dad

My wife has left me...

...for the weekend to attend a MOPS (Mother's of Preschoolers Convention). Basically it's just a bunch of moms who get together once a month and have a time of worship, a social time and a time to have the kids babysat and just chill. It's a pretty good deal - anyway, Doreen was invited to one of the National Conventions this group has - that was in Nashville, TN this weekend. So she and 3 other ladies left out Thursday afternoon.

I talked with Doreen this morning and she said that the meeting the night before was awesome and that the musical group, Point of Grace were fantastic in person. We've got two of their CD's and she got 'em autographed. Pretty cool eh?!!

They had a bunch of seminars they were going to attend today and another meeting with another group of singers tonight - so she is really enjoying her time...

...now for me on the other hand :( ...

...just kidding :) - I am enjoying my time with the girls. And for the most part they're being little angels. Though, we're all looking forward to the time Doreen get's back late Sat night though.

My girls are "Mama's" girls at heart, but they're doing all-right with just Dad around.

Although - today was pretty 'hairy' there for a bit.

My in-laws came over to see some pics I took yesterday of the blocks that make the foundation for the studio/apartment we're/they're having built in Chattanooga.

I was actually down there to spend the afternoon at Southern Adventist University representing LifeTalk Radio at a "Meet the Firms" fair. Basically Juniors and Seniors were walking around looking for internships and/or job possibilities after graduation. They had quite a group of businesses represented there and a BUNCH of students came through. I almost had laryngitis at the end of the day from talking so much. Good thing I didn't have to say a word on the hour trip home. Just listen to my Sirius radio and drive. It was a good experience though, especially since it looks like after we move the LifeTalk Radio Network from Vonore, TN to the campus of SAU after the first of the year, I'll be in charge of the 'internship/practicum' program. It'll be good to help students get some quality 'hands-on' experience.

Anyway, I've digressed a bit! :) After the in-laws visited for a bit - by the way, they've been home from 2 weeks - they drive for FedEx Custom Critical an expidited rig. They're doing great and seem to really enjoy what they're doing. They've been there 3 years and just this season were made part of the 'white glove' division. They do some pretty exclusive stuff. Last year when they New Jersey Devils won the Championship in the NHL they hauled 3 pallets of Devils Championship hats the night before the final game was played. I asked why they didn't try to snag a hat or two at the origin - but they passed on that chance. Bummer I say. But anyway, they're headed to FedEx Custom Critical HQ in Green (Akron) OH - to take training to haul explosives and nuclear stuff. WOW.

Doh, that's digression #2! I'm getting bad in my old age! :)

After they visited, i had to swap carseats in vehicles and zip the girls over to a babysitter so I could get to work between 11a and 1p - when I help co-host a live radio program. It's a lot of fun, but it makes my Fridays a nightmare when things are out of the ordinary - like when Doreen's at a convention! :)

So I got to work, tried getting all caught up - and preppin for the show and then afterward doing 2 things I HAD to get done, then getting back and getting the girls and heading home.

Both of them pertained to getting things finalized for an LPFM training session we're having on Monday and Tuesday. LPFM is Low Power FM Radio. We have 5 new stations coming on by the end of October and so 11 people from those 5 stations will be here to learn how to operate a radio station. It's basically a crash course - a cram session - and then most will spend hours with us on the phone once they get back home and get the station on the air. :) Most of us at LifeTalk teach these new people "our" expertise at LifeTalk - so I teach them from 8a to 10a on Tuesday the editing software. They make spots, record stuff in and learn the basics of editing and try to do some 'hands-on' stuff with the software to get comfortable with it... it's a challenge - but fun to teach.

Dog-gone-it - digression # 3! :)

Well, back to my day, the night before, Joelle woke up at 1op and was restless, crying for Mama and needing to go potty and water until 11:30p - so both our sleeping was not as quality as it could have been - so we all took an hour and a half nap. Both that felt so good - I didn't want to get up - but I did, cuz it was time for supper and time to get Joelle up so she'd sleep tonight - of which she's have a struggle actually falling asleep right now! :)

After supper - we went to the park to get some wiggles out. That helped!

Bathtime was a nightmare - can't just throw both of them in one tub and wash 'em down right now cuz Joelle's gotta to have 'bags' on her casts and gotta keep Natalie from pouring water down her arms. So I did 'em separately - Joelle watched Care Bears and I cleaned Natalie, then Natalie watched Veggie Tales while I bathed Joelle in the tub with the bags and then washed her hair in the the kitchen sink.

A good day - a challenging day. Makes me thankful for a spouse to help 'wrangle' our kids. I don't think I could do this single parent stuff too much. I'd have a nervous breakdown. It also gives me great respect for those who end up forced into single parenthood. It's a little different for those who choose it - #1 What in the Heck are you thinking for A- Yourself and B- your kid, it's too much. #2 It's just a HUGE responsibility to be everything to a child.

God knew exactly when he made parents a pair.

Anyway - y'all have a VERY good weekend!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Can't remember my user name for Blogger - oh well.

Isn't there a movie out there similiar to this?!!!

Sue