Friday, September 17, 2004

Ivan & Rain Rain Go Away OR Scardy-Cat Tennessians

Well, Ivan has reached us here in Tennessee. It started raining, a soft drizzle yesterday morning on my way to work at 4:50a. On the way home it turned into a "driving drizzle" but nothing of signifigance. Yesterday evening the wind started to pick up and the rain has become very steady for the last 12 hours. Guess it's supposed to get a little worse and a little heavier today, Friday, but oh well. We haven't had rain in a while, so this isn't all bad. We're supposed to have heavier winds today, but nothing like they had in Atlanta, GA yesterday. A guest we had on one of our live call-in programs said the rain was driving and winds were gusting to 50mph. Wheeeew!

Now, let me tell you about the Scardy-Cat Tennessians we live around. I really enjoy living here. If I can't be in Colorado, I would rank TN in the top 5 of places I'd like to be, but one thing I can't understand about those who live here. ANYTIME bad weather comes through - their is a rush on Bread, Milk & Water at the stores and they start shutting Schools, Activities and the Local Gov't offices down. We've got flood warnings right now because of the rain from Ivan blowing through our area. As Doreen and I watched the Survivor Premier and the Apprentice last night - at the bottom of the screen they started showing a list of schools, gov't offices and activities that are going to be closed or cancelled today due to the weather.

WHAT??????

What in the HECK is that??? It's just RAIN folks! We get it here ALLLLLL THE BLASTED TIME. And sometimes it's EVEN HEAVIER THAN WE'RE PREDICTED TO GET FROM IVAN? Come 'on people get real!!! I tell ya these people are real pansies!

It probably wouldn't bother me that much but every winter we've been here it has shocked the heck out of me when we get a prediction of 2 inches of snow - they practically shut east Tennessee down. A FLIPPIN PREDICTION of 2 inches of snow. NOT ACTUALLY ANY SNOW, JUST A LOUSEY PREDICTION and they practically shut everything down. These people would never make it in Colorado or any of the states North of Kentucky who average a whole heck'of'a lot more snow than that. And MOST of the time, we barely get the 2 inches when predicted. I tell you, it is absoutely ridiculous! Crazy!

Last winter their was a prediciton of snow and so they shut everything down, it was the day we left to spend a week in Central Minnesota with my wife's sister and family. When we got up there 22 hours later they had 9 or 10 inches of snow just laying around, slush on the roads and packed snow on the gravel road back to my sister-in-law's place. I couldn't help but shake my head in amazement at how Tennessians are such cream puffs. Like WOW!

They're stereotyped to be these stout red-necks that can handle pretty much anything, but when it comes to precipitation, especially the white stuff, they're yellow bellied chickens.

My, my, my!

Tisk, tisk, tisk!

See ya!


No comments: