Monday, January 10, 2005

Playoff OUCH OR Cool Sheets VS Warm Sheets!

Happy New Week y'all!!

Hope your weekend was blessed and that you're ready for a new week - just ahead!

I'm in mourning today because my Broncos got literally CRUSHED by the Indy Colts. I'll have to say this 'grief' was not expected. Since the Broncos made it into the playoffs last week I have been, honestly, expecting the worst and hoping for the best. But alas - the Colts offence, and frankly Defense just steamrolled us. Hey - the Broncos made the playoffs, and 2/3rds of the NFL teams can't say that - so that is 'something' to be proud of. It was a fun game to watch though - with the Colts just lighting up their offense and they looked good. It'll be interesting to see how they do against the New England Patriots next week. Go Indy!! :)

And what's with 3 of the 4 road teams winning this week? Man that is extremely ODD in the playoffs. Homefield is typically a HUGE advantage. The Chargers, Seahawks and Packers just couldn't make the best of a good thing. Too bad, don't let the door hit your rear on the way out of the playoffs.

Been looking back 'mentally' at 2004 a bit and overall it was a good year. The only really 'bad' thing that sticks out, literally, is that in 2004 I gained about 12 lbs. Of course I don't gain evenly all over - I get it all in my belly! So this year - I plan to take that 12 lbs off and hopefully at least another 12 to 20. Right now I'm 212, and I'd like to be 180 ideally, but anything under 200 would be acceptable. I've started working on that by not eating late. I eat at 5a, then between 2 and 3 and that's my eating for the day. Around 11:30a I'll have a V8, then about 5p when my family eat supper, I'll sit with them at the dinner table drinking some herbal tea (iced - no caffine) or some juice.

A couple of times lately we've ended going out to eat late, and at one place I only had a Sprite and the other place, an egg roll, some egg drop soup and steal a few bites off Natalie's plate. (Typically I eat a TON a that restaurant - good Veggie Chinese food - yummy!)

Hey, is your preference Warm sheets or Cool sheets? Typically, when I slide into bed - I really prefer the crisp coolness - it just helps me get in the mood for a good sleep. Well, Saturday night after the day at church, potluck and visiting our property in Collegedale - we got home, watched the rest of the Jets/Chargers game and then I got online, blogged, surfed and stuff. Doreen went to bed after the game was over. About 2am I'm ready to crash so I go climb into bed - and I find my side all toasty warm - and it was nice, very nice. You see when I'm not in bed, Doreen takes over the whole thing! :) When I get out of bed at 4:30a to get ready for work, sometimes before I even hit the bathroom door, she's 'spread' out to take my side too. Well - Sat night, since my feet were cold and I was wiped - a nice warm bed just put me out in "2 shakes of a lambs tail." Very nice - but I still prefer cool sheets! :)

Don't know if you all have noticed some comments from JW Richards, but this is a friend from college days. A good friend! He is a wonderful singer with as he puts it, 'eclectic' tastes in music and has a very dry/drool sense of humor. Both of us were taking Broadcasting at Southwestern Adventist College/(As it was called back then) University. (As it is known as now)

We've kept in touch vaguely over the past 11 years, with contact every now and then. Well somehow he found my blog, (Was it through Scotts?) and has made a few comments. I thought I'd share two memories of Jerry, that I really enjoy remembering and since I just heard from him - they 'popped' back into my head and give me pause, to think and to chuckle with great memories from a friend.

Jerry and I both worked at KJCR 88.3 - the college station playing very 'traditional' Christian music. This was in the days where we still used vinyl albums with a mixture of CD's. As I recall, (And age is making recollection a bit more difficult) I was on the air from 6p to 8p and Jerry was on 8p to 10p. I was to play 1 1/2 hour of medium tempo music (Yello Tags - Every CD had a color coded tag for the average tempo of the songs on it)and had a 1/2 hour program (Focus on the Family) to finish up my shift. Then Jerry played an hour of slow tempo (Green Tags) music then the classical hour.

I remember, Jerry coming in 7:15p-ish and going into the music library and pulling out the new Blue Tag CDs. (Blue Tags = Contemporary) Then he'd pop into the production room - right next to the on air room with a huge picture window between the two rooms - put the CD on and CRANK IT UP. The rooms were sound proof, so I couldn't hear it, but I could see him. He'd be singing along for all he was worth, then he'd get this look of 'pain' on his face. Of course I'd be right of the middle of back-announcing my previous set of songs live on the air and knowing why the look of 'pain' hit, I'd have a hard time not laughing. After I closed the mic, Jerry would come running over and say, "Man you've got to listen to this - the harmony here is so good it hurts."

Then, he, he, he - then all us DJ's were to strickly follow the required format for our timeslot (Scott - you remember this right??!!) - and mine were the medium tempo yellow tags. Well, I'd go in and pick out an hour and a half of 'blue tag' albums and then pick the yellow temp songs of the albums. So Jerry would come in and give me a 'hard' time about picking blue tag albums. (Of course he'd occassionally do the same for his 'green tag' shift!!)

Dang, you know it's really sad that I've got all these cool memories of stuff with friends and family 'stored' in various parts of my brain and some of them only activate very rarely!! :)

Of course, Jerry's comment in a previous blog here about me smelling like pancakes when I'd come in to a morning class after my opening shift at McD's. (Yeah - I had two jobs and squeezed in some school in the middle.) Some days I'd get into the studio smelling like french fries or a vat of french fry oil after I had to clean it. You know, stuff like that. Jerry wouldn't eat breakfast before class so the 'pancake' smell on my clothes would drive him nuts! :)

Then there was our Media Law class with John Williams and the format was open discussion on topics, first of current events dealing with Media Law and secondly the 'reading' or assignment we had from the previous class. Of course with ANY discussion class, we'd occassionally 'drift' from Media Law in to sports or politics or other current events. So Jerry had a sign he drew up during these 'drifts' that said, "DIGRESS." He was making the point we'd gotten TOO far off and should get back to the topic we were supposed to be discussing in class. I LAUGHED every time that sign came out. (Typically once per class - at LEAST!) Ha, ha, ha! Jerry - you still got that sign?? Ha, ha, ha, ha!

Anyway, those are the thoughts rattlin' around in my head this Monday morning. Here for your amusement or boredom - whichever!

Have a Maaarvelous Monday!

"It's good.

It' GOOD.

IT'S ALL GOOOOOOOOOD." (Jim Carrey - Bruce Almighty)

(Just bought that DVD - LOVE that movie!!!)

Later y'all!

No comments: