Friday, January 21, 2005

Does Anyone Really Care? Didn't Think So!

The NHL is probably not going to play at all this season. Story

There's been mention of just an expanded 'playoff' season where every team is in and the gets whittled down from there to the Stanley Cup Champion.

My question is - Does anyone care? I know many of us kinda miss keeping up with our favorite NHL team during the season - but unlike baseball or Football when the season has been shortened because of a lockout or strike - people just don't seem to care.

This is the first story in a couple of weeks I've seen on the NHL. Believe me, if MLB or NFL were on strike or locked out - it would be the lead story on web pages, or ESPN etc.

The NHL - eh - they talk about it every two weeks or so.

Again it comes down to both the owners and players not caring about who's really important, the fans. They're thinking about themselves - and believe me both are in the 'wrong' here and gotta come together on this if they ever want the NHL to be something.

You know, I still 'hold' a little grudge on MLB for the season the World Series was cancelled because of a labor fight. Now, I'll get interested in the playoffs and championship game, but not the regular season pretty much cuz of that. Well, that and their season is too dang long!!! 160+ games. Too much. About half those games don't really matter - but I digress.

I've never really big fan of Unions because of my religious beliefs, and the few times I've had to 'work' with Union shops has not always been pleasant and because too many times - when they're negotiating deals, whether it be Players Unions or Airlines Unions, etc - they don't seem to care about making sure the 'business' is gonna be ok, so they can keep their jobs, they just try to take ALL they can and run. The business be 'damned.' Of course on the other hand - too many 'owners' (Good example is Bud Selig and MLB) Trying to show they're losing billions of dollars every year to try and 'hold' unions hostage, raise ticket prices and get stadiums built by tax dollars. You know - this is just ALL political CRAP - and I'm to the point where I hate politics!!! Why can't everyone just tell the truth? Why can't everyone just be fair in business dealings? Why do so many people have to lie, cheat and manipulate to have power? It screws life up, ya know? Let's just all get along. I'm not asking for us to have communism where we're all equal - but if we all treated other fairly - whether rich or poor, life would be so much, MUCH better. Sorry - I'm digressing again! :)

Would anyone really miss the NHL if it dissolved? Maybe for a short while - then it would fade into oblivion. They gotta get this resolved, and resolved quickly, then really make it enjoyable, and likeable to get fans to come back and to make it a bigger sport than it has been.

War, NFL!!! :)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I personally am a rabid NHL fan. I miss the game so much right now it hurts and if it was gone forever I don't know what I would do. Unfortunately I do not have another league close to where I live so the NHL is it. I don't really like any other professional sport so for me it's the NHL or bust.
Charlie
http://predatorsden.jasonkirk.net/