Sunday, February 10, 2008

Tennessee Tornado

Tuesday night I was headed into the heart of Tornado land with a load of snack cakes. We left at 9pm.

We headed west on I-24 then southwest on hwy 72. That turn probably saved us quite a bit of potiential problems.

Y'all know that a few tornados touched down in the wee hours of Feb 7. One hit Jackson, TN killing quite a few people.

We were about 100 miles south of there in Mississippi when it hit. The rain was coming down so hard my co-driver slowed to about 30 mph.

When we arrived at our 1st drop at 4:30am, there was floods of water everywhere, but the rain and the wind had stopped.

We emptied out about 20 miles south of Memphis, TN, so I took I-40 towards home. Just on the other side of Memphis, they've got a set of Rest Areas, East & West. Both were closed down, and as I went by, I realized why. A tornado tore through the area ripping the tops of trees off, topling concrete picnic tables, and doing all sorts of damage. Just a few hundered yards down the road, two trucks from the westbound side were flipped into the median, and they had things shut down that direction to one lane and the back-up went for miles.

What a mess. I was just extremely thankful that that mess wasn't around where I was.

Pray for the families that had all the damage though in the city of Jackson, TN!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Glad you took route 72. Not a bad way to go to Memphis and you did miss the storm. Sandra