Wednesday, February 02, 2005

As LifeTalk Turns OR Waiting in Limbo

Well, well, well,

It's Wednesday already. Still trying to see if that's good or bad. :) I guess time will tell! This week has been just as 'hectic' as last week - although, with everything moved down to Collegedale already - the 'stress' isn't included with the busy pace.

Sunday we got the Georgia Cumberland Conference truck loaded up, but not without a hitch or two.

On my way into work at 7:30a, my boss calls and lets us know that the driver called and it's too icy to get the truck out, the move's been postponed.

My first thought was, what kinda truck driver is he? Wimpy if you ask me! :)

Well - long story short - one of the guys who came to help is related to the truckers wife. So he calls around and get's him kicked outta bed and we round everyone up again and plan to meet at noon to load up. (By the way, their was ice on the trees and grass, but NONE on the roads. Just thought I'd throw that in there.)

So of course I get 'picked' to load the truck, probably because I've done it one or two times before. We get cracking and finish around 4:15p. We loaded 16,000 lbs of office stuff up in 4 hours 15 min. Not bad if I don't say so!

We decide to unload on Monday morning, since we probably couldn't get a key to get into the warehouse anyway. (Can't move into our building - it's not done yet.)

So Monday bright and early 4 of us carpool down there to unload, we beat the truck, then we've gotta call the boss to give him directions - 10 min late. Then he's gotta go find someone to unlock the warehouse. Argh!

Two hours later, the truck is empty, we're all leaving for the day.

So now we've got everything in storage waiting for the new building to be completed.

I just talked with my boss and the carpet is being put down today, our main control desk is being put in place and tomorrow we should be able to pull audio and control cables - hopefully! :)

Still trying desperately trying to hold onto any decisions on my new boss until I actually get a chance to work with him. Working 70 miles apart with little or no interaction does present a bit of a challenge.

Some of the interaction has been positive, some neutral and some very negative - so that makes it even harder to remain objective and not completely turned off on the fellow. I'm trying, I'm trying, I'm trying! :)

Two recent events don't help much though. #1 - On Sunday when the move had originally cancelled I talked with our LPFM Coordinator and he was upset because we weren't to be moved until the 13th. He's been packed up for a week and then we're told it's going to be another 2 weeks before we can unpack - he's got FCC deadlines for stations, equipment to order etc. So he metioned that to our boss and our boss said "You should have keep some things unpacked." Our LPFM Coordinator just about blew a gasket and said, "We were supposed to be moving today and you told us to have everything packed up - so I did." That comment and situation was not fair for our Coordinator - I tell ya that!

Then yesterday I asked my supervisor if he'd talked to our boss about a small reimbursement to cover gas expenses until we can get moved down there. The bosses response was that we've known we're moving and should have been moved by now. Oh man, that answer got my hackles up! It's not so much the money - that would have been a nice bonus - but it was the attitude toward us. You know, we've been well ahead in planning for this move and working on things with my in-laws etc to have a place available soon. And for him to literally suggest that we're lazy good-for-nothing goofballs and that we're completely clueless as to what's going on is incredibly annoying!

Anyway - we're in a holding pattern. Hopefully things will get back to 'normal' soon. If we can ever reach normal again! :)

1 comment:

The SSP said...

Hey Jerry, we'll be basically be airing LifeTalk, but putting on our church service and would like very soon to add music programs from churches all over the city.

We'll see what the board decides. Doreen and I will only attend this church through the end of the year to fill the dutys we accepted. Then we'll go to a church closer to Collegedale, since we will then be living down there. (Athens is about 50 minutes from Collegedale.)