Friday, April 17, 2009

Getting Stronger OR What a Weird Day

Dad was off the vent for almost 4 hours this morning doing very well. His breathing was a little fast, but better than when he's tried before. That was encouraging!

They haven't pulled the tube out just yet, basically because they are wanting to make sure that he will be successful off the tube and not have to be reintibated. (Not sure if I spelled that correctly.) Also, he still has lots of mucus coming up and it's easier to get it out with a suction tube inline than to cough it out when he's still kinda weak from this whole traumatic experience.

So this afternoon, he tried once again sans ventilator and did extremely well. In fact the Dr was seriously weighing options about to extract the tube or not. In the end, she decided to play it safe and leave it in overnight so he can get a good night of rest and possibly have it removed tomorrow if he continues to improve. Good move in my un-expert opinion!!!

One think I think has really helped is they put a 'slurry' in his feeding tube yesterday and I really think that has helped his energy and he actually looks a little more lively now! Wheeeew - what a relief. He's been cracking 'hand-jokes' and writing things down on a dry erase board and notepad that are quite humorous. He sat up and watched some TV this afternoon. So he's making progress. We'll see what's next!

On the weird day part of today...

They actually had a fire at the hospital - it wasn't a drill. Course the nurse came and calmly closed dad's door completely. Later she said that people are all the time burning toast or bagels and setting off the fire alarm. Nothing much to really worry about, this time! :)

Then, it's springtime here in Denver and they're expecting 10 to 20 inches of 'spring' by about noon tomorrow. Oh My Word!!!

I went over to cousin Jeannie's (where everyone else is sleeping - in Lakewood) and grabbed a shower and some clean clothes. Then I stopped at a store and picked up another long sleeve shirt and pants. I packed mostly shorts and t-shirts for spring weather not sleeping in a igloo (the sub zero temps in the hospital) or dealing with a full blown winter storm.

I'll try to remember to post a few pics of it when I return home and get the shots off my camera.

Well, another night - straight ahead - in the ICU of Colorado's University Hospital...

Can't wait to see what tomorrow will bring!

3 comments:

Joe said...

Steve,
Thanks so much for keeping us all up to date on Larry's condition. We've been praying and God has been answering...maybe He hasn't seen the need to change Denver weather for you...sorry about that...BUT, I'm so thankful that my cuz is doing better. Tell him I said to hang in there.
joe

Anonymous said...

Hi Steve,

Glad your dad is making progress. I'm sure it feels so slow, especially for your dad. I'm glad you and your family can be with him. Thanks for the updates. We'll keep him in our prayers and thank God for healing him so far.

Anonymous said...

Hey Steve, the above comment was from shelly H. I forgot my username and password and so I did anonymous...forgetting that my name wouldn't show up (duh, anonymous)

Anyway, hang in there!