Wednesday, January 18, 2006

Quick Rant on Smoking...

In my new job I end up around some partners/drivers, who are smokers. Its interesting how different they all are. The most recent guy I went with was very considerate. He wouldn't make extra stops to smoke, and when we did stop, he'd walk quite a ways away to puff. One driver stopped all the time to smoke adding quite a bit of extra, and unnecessary, time to our trip. He'd smoke in the trailer and warehouse. Another driver would actually smoke in the truck while I was back in the bunk. I'd have the temp just right and all of a sudden for about 10 minutes (in 40 degree weather) both windows up front would open up and bring a COLD chill to the cab. It's hard to sleep when every 40 minutes or so the temp would dip to extremes suddenly! (Besides the fact that they are prohibited from smoking in the trucks, trailers or warehouses.)

You know, I just don't understand, in today's society why kids and others pick up smoking. What is it about that habit that is so appealing to so many? It smells bad, it makes their teeth yellow, gives 'em bad breath, bad B.O. and that's just on the outside, it can't be good for the inside.

About the only good thing about smoking is to serve as a distraction to me at night. When I'm driving the truck down the road, occassionally a smoker will chuck his/her butt out the window and it'll hit the ground and sparks will fly everywhere. That is fun to watch!!!

I guess it's just one of those things that make you go - hummmmm!!!

No comments: