Thursday, July 17, 2008

What a CORNY Day

My father-in-law's brother and his kids planted a huge corn 'patch' this season. They've been harvesting quite a crop. Twice we have gotten a dozen or so ears from them just to eat. Well, this week, we decided to get 8 dozen to freeze, so we have some later on we don't have to 'buy' at the store.

So we got 8 dozen and my mother-in-law got 8 dozen. They had a schucking party one evening - I was still on a trip and missed out on that part.

The next day we met at their house and started on the freezing process!



I'd get the corn blanched and then cooling in a sink of cold water, then Sandra and Doreen would cut it off the cob.
















Then it was my job between the other jobs to fill the freezer bags. We kinda figured it would be a most of the day process. We started just before 10am and were done with all of them by 1pm. We were zoomin!




















We ended up with 46 quarts of frozen corn. 26 for my in-laws - not filled quite as full and 20 for us.

That work will come in extremely handy this winter! Yummy!

For more info on this day, check out my father-in-law's post. You can also see what he and the girls were doing during this process!

No comments: