Friday, July 18, 2008

15 Fantastic Years OR How We Met

Fifteen years ago, today, this girl...














...and this boy made a promise to each other...


















...to Love, Honor and Cherish each other.


Well we have!


What an awesome day that was! Wow has 15 years gone by already? Have we lived as a married couple in two different states? Have we really gone through 3 different jobs and now have two kids, 7 & 5?



It all started 19 years ago, in Keene, TX. The first day of class, a Tuesday, at Southwestern Adventist College, I spied this beautiful brunette with hazel eyes across the classroom. We were in Life & Teachings of Jesus. That first day, their was a moment that our eyes met. That was all. We didn't talk that day because after I got out of that class I had to head straight to work.

In fact, we didn't talk for the next two weeks. Even though we had Intro to Algebra, Freshman Orientation, and Life & Teachings of Jesus together. I didn't know her name. I just knew her face.

She knew my name, and she knew my face but didn't put the two together. I was in her father's choir at school and she was his secretary, so she saw it with a check mark by it every time I attended class.

During that two weeks in Life & Teachings though, we started to connect, just through looks. When the class moved along rather slooooooowly, we'd mimic each other's posture or hand placement or looks. It was fun. Flirting across the room.

The day came in Freshman Orientation that the instructor had us do an ice-breaker. Around the walls of the room were the months of the year. We were given a 'list' of questions, then go to the month of our birthday and find someone else, in that same month, interview them from that list and turn it in.

I went right up to the stage where May was hanging. I began talking with another girl watching where this brunette was going to end up. Surprisingly, she too walked down front to the May section and sat down by me. I immediately switched all my attention to, "Doreen." We each did the interview, shook hands and returned to our seat, but the 'ice' was broken. We began talking regularly.

We found out we were both sports fans - so our first official date was a racquetball game, then to Dairy Queen afterwards to have a soda and talk. It all went well until she spilled her drink at the table we were at. Not wanting to make her feel more embarrassed, I got up and went up to the front to ask for a rag to clean stuff up.

We made it passed that little hick-up. We'd talk one day, then not at all the next 3 then the next time we 'talked' it was a bit awkward - again. She was from the area and had lots of friends that came to SAC from the local academy - I was from Colorado and had one or two friends there. Sometimes I felt like an extra wheel trying to fit on a car - but I persevered.

Eventually we started going out on the weekends doing things together. Oct 31 rolled around and we went to a Haunted House with some friends. In the car on the way there, we held hands for the first time. Afterwards as I walked her back to her car - I asked her 'out,' to be my steady girlfriend and the response I got was quite a surprise, she laughed, but said, 'yes.'

Over the next couple of months, we'd have really good times together and then some really awkward moments. It was hard to gauge.

At the Christmas break, I headed home to Colorado. After I returned and the second semester started, we didn't talk much and it had gotten extremely awkward. I'd had enough and intended to break up with her one day after our Speech class. I'd always sit in front trying to be a good student and she sat in the back with her sister. Of course, right after class I'd have to take off for my evening job at the nursing home.

One afternoon I had off, so after class, instead of heading out the door - I headed towards the back of the room. To my surprise she was headed to the front. In her hand was a 'card' she gave me. We talked a few moments then separated. I kept the note I intended on giving her, breaking up, for a later time.

The note written in that card she gave me was what I needed to hear at the time to 'keep us together.' I don't remember exactly what it said - but it was enough to let me know she was very interested and we worked hard on our relationship.

It didn't come without a few bumps, twists and turns though. But we worked at it.

A few weeks later, we all went to the Reunion Tower for Larry's birthday dinner, then over to Fort Worth for an Imax movie. After we got back to their house, I walked her to the front door, and we kissed for the first time right on her porch.

That next summer, between our Freshman and Sophomore years, we spent Oodles of time together when we weren't working. We did 6 flags, lots of movies and miniature golfing and just playing catch in the park. We created a solid bond that was strong enough to get us through some stormy times our Sophomore and Junior years. Mainly because I had a LOT of maturing to do and because I was working nights and was tired ALL THE TIME!

We got engaged just before going to a Young Messiah concert in Dallas with some friends. Jan 14, 1992. I sent Larry a letter asking for permission to ask Doreen to marry me and he replied quickly and positively. So I did and she said 'yes.'

Our senior year was a challenge because it was her clinical year going to a school in Fort Worth. Many times she was up at 4am and to the school by 6. Then in the evenings we'd have maybe 20 or 30 minutes together, then she'd have to go study and I'd need to get to work. But again we persevered.

Then graduation and I went to Illinois, she stayed in Texas until the end of June then to Centralia, MO where her Grandma lived and where we were going to be wed.

Finally the day came where I got off work and headed to Missouri to join them to finalize everything and to get married.

Now 15 years has passed. Unbelievable. Time has 'shot' by!

I tell you one thing though - I'd do it again in an instant!

Happy Anniversary Doreen! I'm looking forward to another 15, plus, years with you!

Love ya lots and lots!!! :)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Very nice account...I only found one error that I'm sure of and that's when we held hands for the first time. It was the night that you said but it wasn't in the car. It was in the lobby at the boy's dorm for some kind of worship or video thing to counteract all the "Halloween" hoopla and we sat next to each other and held hands. Anyway, I know that it was providential for us to be together and I'm very thankful to have you as my husband. You're the best!! I love ya!

Anonymous said...

One other tidbit. When I was in academy a friend of mine asked me if I was worried about finding a boyfriend (she was always concerned about such things) and I told her "no" because I had this impression that when I got to college I would see some "guy" who I didn't even know and would just have a gut feeling that he'd be the guy I'd marry. I told my sister the same thing. Well, when Steve and I were doing all that flirting in class I told both my friend and sister that I had seen the guy in my class that I would marry. They had a hard time believing it (especially since I didn't even know his name yet) but it ended up being true!!! Yay!!

Doreen

Shelly said...

Congratulations on 15 years! Yes, I remember Doreen describing how she was going to encounter with the guy she was going to marry. It was exactly how she described it too. Sorta how she is....quite agenda oriented and it even worked with who she was going to marry! Good thing she didn't put into her agenda "Plan B". But Steve, what a nice recap of how you guys met! Time flies.....