Monday, October 06, 2008

Deja Vu to 1977 - Gas Shortage

Here in SE Tennessee and N Georgia, we've had a bit of a shortage of gas since Hurricane Ike hit the coast of Texas shutting down the refineries.

It was kinda erie, a couple of weeks ago I was actually in Atlanta, GA on a trip for work and had to go to 3 different suburbs - practically every gas station had bags over the handles of their pumps to show they were closed. Some stations were completely closed and some still kept the convenience stores open. Still, it was weird.

Last Friday, we had someplace to be and decided to get gas on the way to it, we left home about 4pm. The first gas station we tried was closed, no gas. The second one we looked at only had the 'low grade' fuel. So we stopped in their - even though it was a nut-house and filled up.

We drove by 2 other stations along our journey and they were both closed, another was still open but with quite a wait to get to a pump. Wild - cuz it took me back to 1977, when we were visiting my grandparents in Maryland. I remember sitting in a long line, that extended out to the road with my Papaw as we waited to get gas.

All that made me thankful for the practial theory my father taught me. "It costs the same to run on the top half of a gas tank as it does the bottom half." So we rarely let a gas tank get below half way. It has served us well over the years and even more so now since gas has been not the easiest thing to obtain as of late! :)

Thanks Pop! Never even thought that would come in as handy as it has. We've had friends running from station to station around on E trying to find some gas. Ewww! I don't like that thought at all!

Well - it should be interesting as we get closer to the time of the end to see how things transpire as the world grows older, worse and more sinful!

This is just a taste I believe.

1 comment:

Shelly said...

I totally agree that this is the beginning of the end. I think its going to appear that our economy will recover and it might look like it will even for a couple of years, but then I think its going to crumble. We've been having a Revelation Seminar here and its been very interesting. I don't think I've ever sat through a whole series so its been good for me to hear. The Pastor is one of my classmates (sorta) from Union College.