Friday, October 31, 2008

19 Without, 19 With

19 years ago today, Doreen and I officially became a couple. That means that as of today, I have broke even. I was 19 when we met and became a couple and it is now 19 years later. So I had 19 years of life without Doreen and just completed 19 years of life with her. I'll take the latter any day! :)

I got to thinking about all this on my most recent trip and really enjoyed the memories. Now we met at Southwestern Adventist College the first week of school, and didn't talk for two weeks which basically brings us to near the 1st of September.

Our first date was a racquetball game at the gym there at SAC. We played an hour of racquetball then drove into Cleburne to the Dairy Queen for soda's and to chat. In the middle of our conversation, her drink slipped out of her hand and got Dr Pepper everywhere. I jump up and rush to the counter to get a rag to get things cleaned up. She tells me to go ahead and laugh - but I didn't because I was too nervous about making her feel bad and I didn't want to do that because I liked her.

Well - our time together for the next few weeks was spotty at best. I was a village student, and knew maybe 3 or 4 people at the school, plus working lots to pay for my time there. She had all her friends from Academy right there. We'd get together - then it'd be a week or two. Which brings us into the middle of October - or so. We started hanging out a little more regularly, and on Halloween 1989 we had a date. I was trying to remember if we ate somewhere or not, but can't recall. What I do remember is we went to a non-Halloween movie in the lobby of the Boy's dorm there on campus. After the movie was over, we went with some friends, and her sister Shelly, I believe, to a Haunted House nearby. After that I walked her back to our cars, parked next to each other in a parking lot just across campus. We strolled hand in hand chatting - but I was feeling a bit nervous because I was waiting for the perfect moment to 'pop' the question - would she be willing to be exclusive and be my girlfriend.

We arrived at our vehicles and I hadn't asked yet, and really, REALLY wanted to before we separated for the evening. So as we stood there I finally got the courage in a lull to 'pop' the girlfriend question. I waited expectantly - she looked at me - and LAUGHED! Out loud.!

That was NOT a response I had even considered or expected. But their it was. She finally regained her composure and said she kinda figured we were already exclusive, and so I told her I didn't want to take her for granted and just wanted communicate what I was thinking. She said that was very sweet, with a slight undercurrent of a chuckle.

Now, 19 years later she still laughs at me occasionally - but I know that she' mine!!! No doubts now, and so she can laugh all she wants! I've got a wedding license with both our names on it.

I tell ya - it was worth it all then and is even more so now. I love her very much and look forward to the next 19+ years we have headed our way.

Happy Dating Anniversary sweetie!!!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

We are so glad you all made a couple. It's so hard to believe that you guys have been together that long. It makes me feel like and oldster. Can you believe your mother and I have been married for 44 years and dated for 4 years prior to that? Time flies when you are having fun.

Shelly said...

Congratulation guys! Thats a long time! But it sure goes fast when you're having fun!

Anonymous said...

Sonnyboy you couldn't have picked a finer jewel. Thank you from us. Mom