Tuesday, October 26, 2004

A New Hobby for the Pesters???

Our family may have a new hobby very soon.

The week before Thanksgiving we have some family (Doreen's Sister's Clan) coming to Tennessee for a visit. We're going to spend 3 days in Gatlinburg/Pigeon Forge playing around among many other things.

Recently they've gotten into a hobby called "Geo-Caching."

Basically it's people from all over the world who 'Cache' an item or container of items then leave a Longitude and Latitude on a website with a description of the location and 'hints' on how to get there. Then we go find it.

The website is, Geocaching.


Last night Doreen and I were looking at some of the 'Caches' that have been stashed around where we live and in Montrose, CO (Where my family lives in CO and where we just finished a 2 week vacation) and saw lots of 'Cool' places to visit etc.

Of course I have to admit that one reason why this interests me is because we'll need to get a GPS unit. That is WAAAYYY Cool. I'm a techie (Not to be confused with Trekkie - although I do enjoy Star Trek) and I love electronic gadgets - so this is right up my alley.

Occassionally we sit around home and wonder where to go and/or what to do - this is a great opportunity to get outdoors, see some beautiful countryside, teach Joelle & Natalie about maps, tracking, and getting from point A to B. It's also got a unique twist on it as well.

We'll let you know if we decide to do it and how it goes!

Hope you find your day ahead is GREAT!

No comments: