Thursday, November 15, 2007

Trip from Hell!

I just had the "TRIP FROM HELL!!!"

I love my job and most times, really enjoy my trips I take. Some I like less than others, any run to eastern Kentucky for example, but this one was the worst.

So here was my understanding of the trip. Cake run to E Georgia, back-haul in Atlanta, deliver to bakery in Gentry, AR. Take empty trailer to Paris, TX, pick up back-haul return to Collegedale. Not a bad run.

Here's what it ended up being. Trip to E Georgia, back-haul in Atlanta, deliver to bakery in Gentry, AR. Here's where the proverbial monkey wrench gets thrown in. We picked up a trailer full of cakes for a run to Texas, 5 stops, THEN pick up a back-haul and return Collegedale.

Now all that probably would have been fine and good, however, when we left Monday morning, my first 'assignment' was to climb in the bunk, which I did for a few hours. Problem was, when I awoke - I had a hint of a sore throat and it kept getting worse and worse the whole trip. Then to have the added cake run on, it just wore me out.

I worked until midnight on Tuesday night, then had to drive to the back haul and get there by 2a or the place would close. So I was pushed for time. Made it, got loaded then had to drive another hour and a half until 5a. Man was I bushed.

When I went to bed, couldn't get to sleep cuz I had gotten a fever and with the chills, I could not get comfortable.

Finally, I drifted off to sleep. My co-driver drove for 6 hours and ran out of time, then I had to drive the other 4 to get us home. Boy I felt awful!

In fact, today, all I did was lay around, nap and watch TV. Trying to get my energy back.

I was NEVER so glad to get a trip completed!!!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow! Doreen said you were getting a sore throat. To bad, it'snot fun. Glad you could vege today. Get better. Sandra

Shelly said...

Getting sick on the job. Ugh! And it not like you can say, "I need to go home" You're stuck in another state! No fun. The sick season is here. My mother-in-law is sick today!