Tuesday, November 20, 2007

I Was Randomly Selected to be the Winner of A...

...Random drug screen! Yippeeeeeeeeeee!

Yesterday morning I went into to work at 3:30a to hookup and head to Lumberton, SC. Found the tractor - drove around to the dispatch office, found my co-driver and headed in.

On our paperwork was a note that said 'confidential.' The dispatcher opened it and it said, "Steve Pester, you have been selected for a random drug and alcohol screen."

So he gave me the key to a company van and I had to drive over to the nurses office. Before I did, I grabbed 2 quick glasses of water and a cup of coffee.

When I got there, I had to sit for 15 min, since my last drink, for the alcohol swab/test. Passed with flying colors - obviously.

Then I downed 3 more cups of water and another cup of coffee trying to have to use the bathroom.

Finally 25 minutes later, I got the feeling I was looking for. Got the nurses attention and went through the whole rig-a-marol of emptying my pockets and heading into a little closet/bathroom and doing my business in a cup. Yippppeeeeeeee!

Then signing all the little sample cups and paperwork etc.

Boy - I sure hope I get to do this again - SOOOOOONNN!!!!

Because of that test, we left an hour late, hit Atlanta rush-hour traffic and got slowed down. Our last drop we got there just after another truck and we had to wait for them to clear out before we could unload. Then we had exactly 6 hours to go 390 miles home.

Yeah - I was speeding a bit.

We gated-in with 3 mintues to spare before I ran out of time on my log-book. Oy vai!

That is TOOOO close for comfort!

Oh well - at least we made it!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I know the feeling. With us it is usually right after a load has been delivered and we are ready to rest for a while - then here come a message- "your name has come up for a random drug test." Then we have to find the clinic and go through the trouble like you did. What a pain - especially since we never drink, smoke, use drugs or hardly any medicine.

Larry O

Anonymous said...

I got nabbed about a week ago, too! At least the van comes to US, but they never tell you until AFTER you've gone pee. Drink, drink, drink. I had to do the alcohol breath-a-lizer, also --- sign here; initial there!