Friday, December 30, 2005

Long Trip OR I Need Your 'CB Handle' HELP!

Well - I just got back this morning from my longest trip yet. I left Tuesday morning at 7a and got back this morning (Thur) at 10a. The great thing is - I'm done. Ain't gotta work anymore this week! Where did I go - well, let me list some 'songs' and see if you can figure it out! :)

Amarillo by Morning - George Strait (also a movie, which I didn't know)
If you're Gonna Play in Texas, You Gotta Have a Fiddle in the Band - Alabama
La Grange - ZZTop
Yellow Rose of Texas
Deep in the Heart of Texas
San Antonio Stroll - Tanya Tucker
San Antonio Rose - Willie Nelson
That's Right (You're not from Texas) - Lyle Lovett
"T" For Texas - Jimmie Rodgers
Texas Flood - Stevie Ray Vaughan
Waltz Across Texas - Ernest Tubb
Dallas - The Flatlanders
Heaven, Hell Or Houston - ZZ Top
Galveston - Glen Campbell
El Paso - Marty Robbins
Amarillo - Emmylou Harris
Streets Of Laredo - Buck Owens
Just Like a Texan - Laurie York
Lone Star State of Mind - Nanci Griffith
All My Exes Live in Texas - George Strait
Price of San Jacinto - Reverend Horton Heat
Texas Rock-a-billy Rebel - Reverend Horton Heat
People in Dallas Got Hair - Waylon Jennings
Abilene - Waylon Jennings
T for Texas (also called Blue Yodel No. 1) - Waylon Jennings
Amarillo - Sideways Forest
San Antonio - Frank Black and the Catholics

Houston (Means that I'm one day closer to you) - The Gatlin Brothers is actually the city that we delivered to. It was a good trip. Two trucks ran together there, then we split up, they got drops on the west side and ours were on the east. We met back at Beaumont - had lunch then convoyed back to the bakery.

It was a good trip - all in all - except after a rest period in the bunk - I woke up with a sore throat and throughout the rest of the trip I kept feeling sicker and sicker. Glad to be home to recoup! :)

Hey - I need your help. We, my temp partner, and I were 'communicating' with the other truck as we were traveling and everyone - except me - had a 'CB' handle. There was 'Tater-tot,' 'Smarty-pants,' and 'Paw-paw.' In the different times of my transportation career, I've been around 'Engine kicker,' 'Mad-medic,' ummmm, man - I've forgotten many of them.

Anyway - my partner said to the other 'truck,' "Steve's handle is 'Steve.'" That was kinda akward.

So I need some suggestions from ya on a 'handle' I can use when I'm on the CB after I've 'Hit the Road, Jack." So y'all come back with some suggestions and I'll let ya know what I end up going with! :) Can't wait to see 'em! HE, he, he!!!

If I don't get a chance to write between now and then - (Confetti gets thrown into the air, noise makers start making noise, a big beach ball is bounced around the group...) "Happy New Year!!!"

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

HI Steve,
I am not a blogger but wanted to give you some ideas. I was thinking on the Broncos line since you are such a big fan :)
Miles, after the mascot
Bronco Man
Mile High
Bronco Fan
Just some thoughts, maybe you can get some ideas off of them too.
Have fun thinking one up.
:) Heather V.

Anonymous said...

How about "pigskin"?

Trailady said...

Uhm, hard clues, but I guess I would have to say you were in Maine???? ha ha Have a great weekend! :o)

Roseuvsharon said...

I kind of like:
Now playing in left field.
You could always shorten it to left field or even lefty.
Could remind many of us of the joy of laughter. Who are you? I'm now playing in left field.

Anonymous said...

Well you are a retired talk show host, right? well how about something along that line such as boardman, or the talker, or show host. The other idea would be something like Colorado kid. two arms, for the two broken arms. Or maybe number one dad

Trailady said...

Okay, I've thought it over and I think your handle should be 'Jester' because you like joking around and it rhymes with your last name.