Tuesday, March 29, 2005

Short Respit

Waaazzz Uuuppppppp?

What are you doing?

He, he, he - loved those commercials.

Well - I've become a middle manager. Yuck! I'm managing 3 film students, 2 broadcasting students and one graphic animator. They're doing most of the work and I'm just the 'guide' on how we need things to look, what the message should be, and what kind of response we're hoping to generate.

I wish I could go back in time and just keep doing the radio production director thingy. You know - really - I thoroughly enjoyed that part of my work. Maybe this is because of the commute, of all I have to do in 'birthing' the TV thing for my company, little or no time at home, trying to get a house built and to just live a life.

Do I keep having the same complaints every time I post? Sorry - that's just what I'm feeling and experienceing right now.

So, last Friday I was able to pick up the countertops for the kitchen. I get them back to the house and the first two fit perfectly. The third however, while it did fit, the wall splash and the end cap were backwards. So I had to run back to the store to get 'em to fix it and get me a correct one. Today I get a call - they're in - so I go to pick them up. They made the fix EXACTLY the same as the incorrect ones. AAAARRRRGGGHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!

So, she gets on the phone - talking with the vendor and says it's 4 to 6 weeks to get them here. Immediately - I say emphatically "No - not acceptable." So she has to call another vendor and says, "2 to 3 weeks, better?" My reply, "Better yes, still it's unacceptable." Our house will be done by then, Lord willing, and I want it done not having to 'wait' to get it finished! So we end up settling on a week and a day or two.

A highlight of my day was a phone call from home. Doreen say's "Joelle wants to talk to you." So I talk with her for a few minutes and then Natalie and they're pretty much just babbling, but I catch words occassionally - very cute. Then talk with Doreen for a little bit - and just before hanging up she says, "Joelle said, when's Daddy coming home." Very precious! Definetly a 'highlight' of a very blah day.

Another, house construction story - the carpet layer calls Sun night and the carpet laying process will begin Monday. He'll call me to 'meet' and open/unlock the house. So he calls and says, we've got some bad news. They unrolled the carpet at the store to cut it to size, no good dry place to do that at the house yet, and they found 3 big holes in it from the manufacturer. AAAARRRRGGGHHHHHH!!!!!! Part 2 It all boils down to the carpet being put in at least a week to 10 days.

By the way, the ministry I work for and have helped move, which is still 'off the air - with our live programs, (every thing is a re-broadcast)' since Jan 19, (Which is a VERY SAD commentary on the planning of this transition) we hope to be back on next week. We've 'assembled' most all the equipment have 3 more items to come in and getting the satellite dishs aligned should be all we need to flip the switches off in Vonore and on in Collegedale. Please pray it'll all happen. That'll help one issue that needs help! :)

A good house construction story is that the brick layers have returned today and gotten just less that half of the final side that needs to be done. HURRRRAAAAAAYYYYYYYY! They claim they'll be done tomorrow night or early Thursday morning. Yyyipppppppeeeeeeeee!

Of course that means, Thursday, after they finish - I've got to get the extra brick laying around picked up and moved to our brick pile and the rest of the 'trash' cleaned up so it doesn't get turned under in the final grading and in the way later on.

I've got to squeeze that in between, work, a TV production meeting at 1p on Thur, and a radio board meeting for WKPJ. (Our LPFM in Athens, TN)

Tomorrow, I gotta work early, early AM - then home to meet with our family and friends and head to Dollywood. (Gotta fit in a little fun in life, especially one that is extremely challenged right now.

Hey - y'all have a blessed day!

1 comment:

The SSP said...

Hey Jerry, here's the deal. The ministry I work for has been radio for the past 15 (or so) years. Last Aug we had a new Prez come on board. He still wants to do radio, but his main focus has become TV. TV programs for 3ABN, Safe TV and the Hope Channel (ATN) and for other outreach for churches. So I've got 5 guys working for me - I've become a middle manager - currently making TV spots until we get our studio built - which is taking time, lots of time. Once it's done though - we'll get going on producing TV programs.

So that's my story - and I'm sticking to it! :)

Now you know... the rest of the story! :)