Friday, January 25, 2008

Nocturnal Week

This was a tough week at work. On all three of my trips I did all night driving.

Left out Sunday and was in the bunk from 5p to 11:30p. Got up and drove to central Michigan and arrived about 6a. Unloaded the truck with my partner and back in the bunk as he headed south. He ran out of hours at 9 and I was back up at 10, drove to the backhaul, waited 2 1/2 hours to get loaded and then homeward, arriving Tuesday about 5:30am. Tiring.

Slept all morning, up lunch with Doreen, chores & errands, time with the girls and then another 3 hours of sleep.

Tuesday night headed out at 10:30p on a trip to Mississipi. Arrived about 5am and worked - then slept the 4 1/2 hours back home, to arrive about 3 Wednesday afternoon.

Did some stuff around the house and a coordinator at the bakery calls telling me they had a problem and asked if I'd run an extra trip to South Carolina this week. Sure, trip leaves out at 9p my co-driver had been home since the afternoon yesterday and he'd drive out. Fine.

Get there at 9 and find out my co-driver's been home since 6 pm that afternoon and won't have any driving hours back for a while. So I drive out, get to the West side of Atlanta and am so tired I hit a rest area and sleep for two hours. Get up at 2am, and drive another 3 1/2 hours to the drop.

We get unloaded and he drives home. I'm in the bunk.

Today was a catch up day. Just chilled, we got a few things done, but mostly just sitting on around and doing stuff on the computer!

Wheeeeew!

Tired!

Headed to bed now! :)

Good night all! :)

3 comments:

ljosjo said...

yip . . . totally know about driving all night. We can only do it about twice a week then sleep. Hope you get more rest next week.

Larry & Sandra

Anonymous said...

tHIS WAS A BAD WEEK FOR ME ALSO I left out Sat evening and delivered mon am. Ran down to Salem Or. loaded and got back to yard at 9:00. One of our trucks broke a crank in Barstow. So put the hook on my truck and beat feet to barstow with a truck for the driver and changed out was back in yard at 10: NEXT MORNING then to Denver to drop broken truck in greeley shop back to yard 1:am and home this afternoon. 5263 miles for the week/ Not too bad eah.

Shelly said...

Used to do the day night rotation for about 10 years. And I don't miss it a bit. Hats off to you that do it! Hope you get caught up with your sleep.