Friday, December 12, 2008

Rough Trip - Extra Paycheck - Mini Triathalon

Just some stuff to post to remember in years to come.

This past weekend I had a trip from hell. My partner was on call for drivers calling in sick. (Each of us has to cover two weekends a year.) So I got stuck with Chris G.

Oh my word, this trip was awful.

It started out with problems. Our air tanks were frozen - it took the shop 30 min to get them thawed. (An omen of a bad trip)

Had a moron of a partner who couldn't throw or catch decently. That really slows a trip down when a guy has to constantly stop to figure out where on the bills he is! Then, and this really got me, He overslept 2 hours on one break. He should have only taken a 2 hour nap and ended up taking 4. That threw us way behind. Then after all was said and done, we had to shut down for another break because of our Hours of Service rules and I had to wake him on the 2nd one. He didn't get up when his alarm went off.

Another problem was the cake trailer had cases so badly out of sequence it made the job MUCH more difficlut that it oughta be! Couldn't just pull the cases down and they'd be in sequence - an order of 24 swiss rolls was spread all through 3 different walls of cases! Uh duh - the 24 go together!!!

Then, it was COLD out. The temp was 16 degrees and because the wind was blowing so incredibly hard we had a wind chill of 2. Burrrrr!

Our return trailer wasn't ready. Should have been ready at 10pm on Sunday night, it wasn't ready until 7am Monday morning. That was just the last straw. I gave up and went to bed! :)

Got home almost 11 hours later than average!

OY VAI! Glad that one's over!

-------------

Doreen's been asking me to take a extra trip to help with our budget, with Christmas and all, it has gotten 'streached.' I called in for one last week, but didn't get one. So Doreen started looking at things and realizes that one paycheck from the middle of the month hadn't been added. Too funny! Now we are right where we oughta be. (I get a 3rd trip this week though - that will really help!)

-------------

Finally, a schedule has been set! The alumni office at Campion Academy called and the reunion for '09, my 20 year, is going to be the last weekend in Sept. Cool beans, for a couple of reasons, #1 - it wont - hopefully - be so cold in CO when I go back. #2 - that leaves the 1st weekend in Oct free. Why is that cool you ask? Because me and 2 other guys are going to run a mini triathalon at Cohutta springs. We're going to do it as a team, one guy is going to ride the 18 mile bike-ride, another is going to do the 4 mile run and I'm going to do the 1/2 mile swim. It's gonna be fun, but a lot of work.

In fact, just seeing how I'd do right now - he, he, he - I failed miserably. At the gym pool it's 16 laps for a half mile - I did 17 in just under 40 minutes. (Doreen's cousin swam the 1/2 mile in 15 minutes last year.) So I've got a lot of work ahead of me, but I think it'll be fun cuz I love swimming. (I'd enjoy the biking but would HATE to do the running!)

Anyway - I'll be posting 'training' updates on here to keep myself motivated to make some good progress to be able to help my team do well!

No comments: