Sunday, August 12, 2007

School & Cold Feet - Update

My folks called yesterday and we talked quite a while.

During the conversation, the topic of school came up and Mom asked why I had a bit of hesitance in sending the girls to school.

Well, I made mention of the things I mentioned in my previous post. Then in thinking about it more, some other things popped into my head.

The one big thing that popped in my head was cuz I didn't like elementary myself. Oh I enjoyed Kindergarten, 1st grade with Mr Evans and 2nd grade with Mrs. Anderson. 3rd grade started a few years of struggles for me.

Mrs. K was my teacher and she had some students that she'd pick on. I happened to be one of them.

An interesting sidebar is that I ran into 2 former 3rd grade classmates at church recently. We had quite the conversation and we covered this topic. Interesting, because one, a female, had NO problems with Mrs K but she noticed the way the teacher treated some classmates. The other, a male, had some of the very same problems I did. I never realized that before.

Well, school went downhill from there for me.

It wasn't until 7th and 8th grade (in Colorado) in a two room school and a little maturity on my part that began the transformation to actually enjoying school.

4th grade (Grades 1 thru 4 in Michigan) wasn't too bad. Mrs Graham was a great teacher and helped with some of the struggles I had, but a student, Sean, and I had some 'clashes' that weren't helping me along the 'straight and narrow path.'

A move occured and I went to 5th & 6th grade in Ohio. Mrs Bynum did alright, but I had other struggles with 3 other students in the class that didn't like the 'new guy.' 6th grade was a bit worse with Mrs. Payne, who wasn't much help to me in my struggles. I really felt like I was on my own.

One thing that mom mentioned that it was maybe because of the 'moves' we made.

Another point was that I was 'mercilessly' teased about being a 'Pester' and that just added to things I guess.

Yeah - I didn't like school much. I'm hoping and praying that my daughters have a much, MUCH better experience!!!

No comments: