Friday, November 10, 2006

Toy Assemblage = *&$@##&(*$#&!!!

My youngest just had a birthday. So being good parents and grandparents and friends, we all got her some gifts. Of course we're still at that stage, where we still the our oldest a gift at the same time so she doesn't feel left out. That's all cool.

So we had a meal and some cake. Unfortunatly we dropped the ball and forgot to get ice-cream. How in the world do you have cake and no ice-cream. That is a travesty! :)

Then came the gift opening. What a ball. To watch my youngest open all her gifts and the simile on her face was amazing. Of course my oldest was pleased as pudding as well.

After all the presents were opened - then we had to take all the 'things' out of the packaging these companies put them in. Not only that, a number of them required 'assembly' as well. I tell ya - it took twice as long to de-package the things and put them together as it did to open the presents in the first place!!! Aaaarrrrggggghhhhhhhhh! I kept hearing "Daddy hurry, I want to play with it! Daddy, are you done yet? Daddy, just open it!"


I used a knife, scissors, my teeth, anything to try and speed up the process and there was just no easy way to do it. One person said to me once, "I can just see some little old guy in China chuckling to himself as he packages these toys thinking about some frustrated parent trying to get the toy detached from the packaging. Oy!

Unbelieveable how thoroughly they tie these things into the packages! Wow!!!

I prevailed though. (Said with a triumphant voice.)

Then I became my kids 'hero' for getting their stuff out!

Ok - it was worth it.

:)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

It's not so much getting the stuff out of the packaging that bothers me (although there are more twist ties in there than should be allowed by law), it's the GETTING INTO THE PACKAGE to begin with. Oi vey! It's absolutely ridiculous how hard they make it to get into the packaging!

Trailady said...

Man, tell me about it!!! I guess we can thank the shoplifters for these inpenetrable fortresses we call packaging?

Some of them get ridiculous. The Barbies even have their hair sewn onto the cardboard they lay on to prevent thievery. Crazy world!