Saturday, November 18, 2006

Full Circle - Teacher to Student to Teacher Again

So I get a phone call from, I'll call him Buford (you know who you are) tonight. He got it working.

Ok - here's the whole story.

"Buford" got a GPS for his birthday and was looking for a Topo map program for it. My brother-in-law had one, so I asked to borrow it from him so Buford could see if it would work on his GPS.

When Buford got it in the mail - he couldn't get it working. So he's had it for the last month or so. Finally to get it back to my brother-in-law I work stuff out that I'll get the CD's back, call Garmin, get the unlock codes and get it working with both their systems.

I get the CDs in the mail, call Garmin and lo and behold, with the Topo Map program
an unlock code is not required - I had loaded up the program in my computer and when the tech told me that, I tried and opened it right up and voila - it worked.

So I call 'Buford' and let him know an unlock code was unnecessary and to look in a drop down menu for the map. He said he'd try it when he got off work.

Then he calls me tonight and it works. It was there the whole time - he just didn't look in the right place. Most excellent.

So I got to thinking, years and YEARS ago, I showed 'Buford' how to turn on a computer and get on the internet. Well, Buford has completely surpassed me in computer knowledge. In fact, a couple of times I've called him for assistance on computer related things. It's nice to know that I can still teach him a thing or two about computers, albeit a very small thing!

He, he, he!

Enjoy 'Buford!' :)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Poor 'Buford' sounds like a real dolt! Harharhar