Thursday, November 23, 2006

Don't Hang Out in the No Zone OR I had a Fender Bender Last Week.

I'm sure that many of you have seen this logo OR seen this on a semi-trailer OR seen this slogan on a TV commercial at somepoint - however why is it that SOME people do NOT get a clue!!!

So, I was working Local on Monday. Basically taking full trailers to a location to be emptied, take it somewhere else to get it filled up, then doing a drop-n-hook and doing the same thing with another trailer.

I'd taken a full trailer to Rome, GA to be emptied. After making the drop, I left the warehouse and headed to the next pick up. I had to take a right turn on Broad street from 1st Ave. Sitting at the red light, I watched the cars cross thru the intersection. After they all passed, I decided to go ahead and turn. I looked out the right window to see if I saw any pedestrians about to cross, none, looked back at the light, still red, look to the left to see if any more cars coming - none, I began my right turn. Half way thru the turn I looked in the right mirror to watch the trailer come around the corner and WOAH, A CAR's THERE! So I slam on the brakes, but too late. the front tire of the trailer axles hit and crunched the front left quarter panel of his SUV. Hyundai Tuscon.

Oh - I was mad. So I pulled the brakes, jumped out and said, "Man - did you NOT see my blinker? Did you not see the sign on the back of my truck that says 'Wide Right Turn?'" He said "It doesn't matter because you hit me." A witness who had stopped said, "Man, you know better to try and beat a truck through a right turn - it was your fault."

Thankfully all this info was given to the police for the report.

It just so happened that 1 mintue later a cop pulled thru the intersection. So I whistled her down and she flipped a U-turn and came back so we both talked to her and then another cop pulls up and we both talk to him, and then the two officers talk and then they end up citing the SUV driver. Thankfully!!!!! Of course this whole process took about 40 min.

After the report was 'filed' I had to call work and answer a series of questions. Then finished my day and then back in the dispatch office - I had to fill out a report. Then in a couple weeks or so, I have to make a verbal report to the transportation safety committee.

All that trouble for some guy trying to 'beat' a truck around a corner.

Aaaarrrgghhhhhhh!

1 comment:

Trailady said...

Some people just drive like IDIOTS!

I wrote about driving in TN on my blog several days back. Glad the incident wasn't any worse!!