Friday, November 10, 2006

Service or Lack ThereOf

As I was riding with a co-driver recently, we started talking about the 'lack of service' in service oriented businesses. A number of experiences I've had in the past few months - and I can't remember most of them right now to elaborate - has been sub-standard. It's like most people want to be served, and not to serve, even if it's their job.

One thing I remember. I was a McD's and placed my order. There were 4 people wandering around the front counter area, 2 in drive-thru and about 5 in the grill area. It took almost 10 mintues to get my meal. Even with the fancy computer system - they still forgot my order. What is that?

I did have one awesome experience recently. On my last trip to South Miami, FL - we delivered at a shipping company that was going to take the product on a cargo ship to the Bahamas. Now, as most of the 'truck drivers' in our family will attest - the majority of dock workers are extremely rude to truck drivers. And some of them rightly deserve it - but the majority of us want to come in, unload or load and head out - that simple.

Well - this dock foreman was EXTREMELY nice. Everything was Mr Pester, yes sir, no sir - very patient and even looking out for me to check and see if the pallets had been handled and the paperwork finished. That RARELY ever happens. Most of the time I've got to 'pester' them. (Believe me, I USED that name-pun to death - it does help a LOT!) I loved going to that warehouse and would go back there at the drop of the hat.

Service - yeah - it's still there, but not a prevelant as it used to! :(

2 comments:

Trailady said...

I hear you on this one 110%! Half the time, they can't even get my Filet 'o' Fish patty centered in the bun these days.

People are spoiled these days and feel everyone owes them something. Perhaps jobs are too easy to come by and that's why poor service slides by day after day?

Trailady said...

PS. My url has changed and you may want to update.

www.trailady.blogspot.com

Just a head's up...