Friday, June 09, 2006

Awareness...

So this past week I had three trips. One to Kentucky, one to Louisana and one to Georgia.

I don't know what it is, but I think that in each truck I drove, on the back doors it said, "It's tick this driver off week."

I'd have to take off both socks to count the number of times I was cut off, or someone just "hung" out in my blind spot, or stop at the red light waaaaaay passed the white line, or lets go slow together in the truck lanes just for kicks.

My goodness man. So many people today are driving without awareness. One of the essential elements of driving my dad hammered into my head. Now I'm not always 100% perfect, but I try. (yeah, don't ask Doreen about this cuz she'd have too many stories to tell - he, he, he!)

Just this week, in our little automobile we about had a head-on with a mini-van that was waiting to turn left, with blinker on when a huge Dodge Ram pickup and driver just plowed into the back that of that van. Aye, ayi, ayi.

I had a SUV pull in front of me to take an exit ramp and JAM on the brakes. I was 3 feet away from climbing into the back of his Cherokee with the front end on my semi-truck!

Then going from one wharehouse to another on Thur, these people must have idiot water stored up in their tanks because on 5 of the 8 turns we made getting to the 2nd warehouse when we were halfway committed to the turn, these people would 'rush' up to the corner, only to have to immediately back up so we could squeeze on around the corner.

I tell ya, if those of us who drive 'large' vehicles (And I put it that way to include you too Sue!!!) drove with the same lack of awareness that so many drivers in 'smaller' vehciles do - this country would be in bad, BAD shape because of so many of the extra accidents and such out there.

Most of us have to drive seriously defensively and constantly aware of what is transpiring around us to keep those 'large' vehicles outta the trouble the 'little' vechiles cause.

Be-aware!!!

Duh!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

that is why I have decided to sell my car, so I won't have to worry about it anymore, the city bus driver will.

Roseuvsharon said...

Common sense. People are no longer teaching common sense. That's why we have hair dryers with warnings on them about not using them near water. It used to be common sense that you didn't use any electrical appliance in or near water.

People can't read the signs of the back of trucks that say, caution, this truck makes wide right turns. Common sense would tell you that anyway.