Wednesday, September 21, 2005

Auto Taps - Double Meaning there!

Our Car is DEAD!

Dead as a door-nail.

Friday we were coming home from Madisonville and had to stop about half way down at a rest area for the girls to potty. I stayed in the car and heard a little knocking sound. So I popped out and looked under the hood etc. Didn't see a thing though.

When we got home - the knocking was worse. So we parked it and didn't go to church Sabbath because of the lack of a vehicle.

Sunday I drove it to a mechanic to look at - and he got back with me. It's a lower rod bearing going bad. That's at the bottom of the engine and it'd cost $4000 to repair or $4300 to replace it with a new engine that had a 3 year warranty on it.

The car is a '99 Pontiac Grand Am with 89k miles on it. It's worth $6,700 according to Kelly Blue Book - I can't put $4,000 into a new engine. So thankfully my father-in-law knew of two shops in Madisonville, one that can supply a good/guarantee'd engine for $1000 and the second that can install it for $300 to $500. Much MUCH more reasonable. The other place was just killing me!

Anyway - hope to get the car loaded on a trailer and hauled up Monday when the engine is here and ready to get loaded in!

Other than that - we're just living life. Joelle started "Adventurers" last night. (Pre-cursor to Pathfinders - or co-ed Scouts). She LOVED it and so this should be fun every other Tuesday when we take her. Maybe I'll be able to finish my Master Guide as she does Adventurers.

Yesterday and today has been our annual Sharathon at LifeTalk. So extra work! Up at 4a, in the office by 5:15a, on the air live between 6 and 10a. I've got a bit of a break now - but back to the grindstone later this afternoon.

Have a great day!

No comments: