Tuesday, June 07, 2005

Music Discussion

So last night I had a hour and a half phone call discussing the music for VBS. Basically I asked him to run the PA booth for the 5 nights since I'm being forced to be away. (work)

He called back and wanted to talk about the music. Doreen and I chose 4 songs out of the 10 that we thought would be appropriate for our church. We're using songs 1, 2, 7 & 10 (If you listen to these clips, remember we got the package from the ABC that the songs have REALLY been toned down! WAY DOWN!)

My friend told me he was only comfortable with one of the songs. #10.

Then we went into this discussion of how powerful music is and how it can be used for good and evil and way into depth on it.

Basically, what came out is he won't run the pa and his 11 & 12 year olds probably won't be attending VBS because of the music etc.

In the conversation, it felt to me that he was saying that if music is not orchestral or choral or a 'march' type music - God doesn't like that. He said that if you look in nature you see and hear a God of peace and harmony any you wouldn't hear Bon Jovi's "Welcome to the Jungle" in nature.

(He claims to have done a bunch of studying from the Bible, Spirit of Prophecy, music books and read a number of scientific studies on how the body reacts to different music.)

It was also stated that churches that don't follow 'those' type of standards, God is having to 'wink' at their ignorance and that 'He' will look around those decisions to let them into heaven when the time comes.

I kept calm on the phone, but couldn't inside because of putting God in a box - and believing that God does not like 'other types' of music and is so limited.

The conversation went on to touch on that a VBS is mainly to get kids to know God in a fun atmosphere and to give them something enjoyable to do during the summer. But the conversation came around that we should be careful how we view God. He said that many would like to view God as a cool guy in jeans, t-shirt and leather jacket - but that we shouldn't because that's an incorrect view of God.

My feeling is that Jesus is all things to all people and if they truly know Him, I've got a feeling He doesn't worry too much in what 'style' they view Him.

Anyway - I'd be interested to hear your thoughts on this. Doreen and I have been discussing this and would like other input.

I personally can't believe the 'narrow-minded-ness' I heard last night. I know as Adventist we should be a peculiar people, but to be a narrow-minded legalistic I'm right and everyone else is wrong I don't think fits the bill. Ya know??!!

Let me know what you think!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm sorry, I don't think I can add anything to this discussion that wouldn't be angry and UN-Christlike. That just makes me so angry... SO ANGRY. How long until the corncob people no longer dictate The Rules? I can't wait.

Anonymous said...

Unfortunately, his underlying issues with the music (and the definitions provided) have to do with a lack of cultural exposure. That is all.

I remember all that mumbo-jumbo at Southwestern and I rolled my eyes then, too. Then, it was about European classical being the only inspired music while all else was "jungle music" not fit for the church. Well, a comment like that isn't culturally uneducated, I don't know what is.

Trailady said...

I agree with you, Steve & friends. These know-it-all types really are difficult to deal with!! They always lord their knowledge over everyone else. The amazing thing is that every SDA I've ever met is an "expert" on music. It's really a control/pride issue and an attitude that says, "If the music and the program at your VBS isn't up to my personal standard and preference, then I don't have to grace you with my presence." Sad, but you are better off without someone like that being involved. Times are changing and many in our church are beginning to see the light. They are slowly coming out of the legalism that has paralyzed us for so long. Keep praying!