Wednesday, May 06, 2009

Dental Hygiene Written Board Results

Doreen called me Monday morning from Chattanooga State, where she's taking her Dental Hygiene course. She said, "You can put anything over on me this time - I know my Dental Hygiene National Written Board Results!" She passed. In fact all 16 of this years graduating DH class passed. That is awesome!

Not only did they get 100% pass rate for the whole class which is very cool, this class got the highest scores of a class in the 32 year history of the program. Woaaaah!

Got a little back story for ya though to kinda explain her comment.

Back, back, way back in 1993, right after Doreen and I got married, she went to St Louis to take her written boards for Medical Technology, the Degree she graduated with from Southwestern. She had already found a job and was 'temporarily' working there until she received her results, which were due to arrive in 4 to 6 weeks to be officially a Medical Technologist in the clinic.

Well, I got her results in the mail and of course, as good a student and studier (is that a word?) she is, she passed with flying colors.

So I called her supervisor, I believe her name was Pat and told her and then told her not to tell Doreen. I showed up that afternoon and Pat calls us into her office. I can tell Doreen started to get nervous and Pat says, "Doreen we just got the results from your test back and we have an issue." I'm sitting behind Doreen trying not to grin too big or laugh, cuz Doreen's still as a rock, clinching her fists and kinda trying not to burst into tears I think.

Then Pat says, you passed we need to make you officially our lab supervisor. Of course Doreen lets out a HUGE sigh of relief, then turns on me - did you know? Yes, I'm the one who told Pat.

She was so relieved! Later on she kinda chided me about not telling her and putting her through all that, but I think it was pretty good.

So with this board result, I've was banned from getting the mail before her and she said in no uncertain terms that I was not to try and pull that kind of stunt again.

He, he, he, yea, once was enough.

Either way, I am sure proud of her for ALL she's done to pass Chattanooga State's Dental Hygiene program and her written boards. Now all she has to do is pass the national clinical boards in Nashville at the end of the month and she'll be a full fledge registered dental hygienist!

No comments: