Tuesday, October 16, 2007

Making the world a better place???

At the rec center where we go to exercise and what not, one of the showers, the one I typically use, had 2 little used up - but not completely - bars of soap on the top of the shower.

I've been going there for weeks/months and everytime, they're still there.

Finally a couple of weeks ago, I was starting to feel irritated because the 'employee' who cleans the bathroom wasn't doing a good job. All three times I was there that week it's like, "Dude - come on do your job!"

The next week when I went in, sure enough, the soaps were still there. I started to feel annoyed again, then a thought came into my head, "You're a big boy, why can't you just do it?"

"Cuz I'm not being paid to keep this place clean," was the reply to myself.

"So," I replied. "If it was you cleaning this place, wouldn't you appreciate the help?"

"I wouldn't miss it if I were cleaning the place," I retorted, "yeah - you're right, I'd appreciate it."

"Ok" then take the 15 seconds it'd take to get a papertowel scoop 'em up and trash them. Do it just because you want to help make the world a little better place around you, even for something as small as this."

"Fine!"

So I did - and when I see little things like that, instead of just maybe kicking a piece of trash laying somewhere, I'll pick it up and dispose of it.

Imagine if ALL off us did that - what a much better place this world would be!!!

Something to think about...

1 comment:

Heather said...

That is the way it is at the aquarium. Don't just walk past a piece of trash and say it is not my job. Stop and take a second and pick it up. Makes the place look better and keeps the janitors available for the big jobs. Heck I find myself picking up paper now where ever I go and throwing it in the trash.
So good thing to think about :)