Friday, October 05, 2007

Love & Logic Works

A few months ago one of our pastors came up to Doreen and asked if we'd come to a 'parenting' seminar to learn to 'come along side' other families to help create a small group of parents formed to share ideas on how to better parent.

She said yes - w/o my consent.

Well, the time came and I was NOT looking forward to it. I have to say though, once we got into it - we/I really enjoyed it. We heard a lot of helpful stuff we've put into practice in our family.

Long story short, the pastor then started getting us (it also includes about 8 other families) together to hold a monthly seminar for families of the church to share parenting ideas and to put on a Love & Logic seminar.

So we agreed. A week before the 1st meeting, the 'elected' (bullied) me into being the leader. (Story within a story here. We'd had some 'challenges' getting thigns together for the 1st meeting - and I was a bit frustrated that we're putting this together and it wasn't being properly promoted etc. So in a private conversation with Doreen about it, I admitted to her that I'd be willing to 'lead' it up if the pastor asked me to. At the meeting the week before the 1st seminar, the pastor said we needed to put a 'point' man on this project to make it happen because his 'plate was too full.' Before he even FINISHED his last word, Doreen said, "I nominate Steve to fill this position." I was SHOCKED! She used that private conversation to her advantage and used priveliged information. Ouch!!) He, he, he!

Well - it seems to have turned out GREAT! The first one came off without a hitch. We had about 3 times as many people as expecte/registered. Attendees seem to have learned some good parenting tips and hopefully the next progarm will be as good or even better.

I tell you all that to tell you this story...

Tuesday morning Natalie wigged out at the only school uniform she had left to wear. So instead of thowing a fit I said, "You have a choice to make. You can wear these nice 'clean' school clothes to wear or pull a dirty, stinky set out of the dirty clothes. But remember, if you pull them out of the dirty clothes, they won't get washed and you'll be in the same perdicament next week on laundry day.

So 10 minues later she came out wearing the clean clothes. VICTORY! The problem was, she was 'pouting' about it and wouldn't eat breakfast. So the other 3 of us finished up and I said to Natalie. "You have a choice, you can eat breakfast OR you can go to school hungry to lunch time. I hope you make the right decision." I then left the room - 12 minutes later when I walked back into the kitchen, she was just finishing up the last bite of her breakfast, in plenty of time to beat the clock. She turned happy, I was happy, the house was calm and pieceful.

Cool program - and it really works. 3 months ago, she'd have gotten a spaking, made to wear the clean clothes and everyone would have been worked up.

Niiice!

PS Still learning it, but we're gonna learn all we can and the best way to handle tough situations with your kdis!!!!

No comments: