Thursday, May 03, 2007

Divine Timing or A Tale of Two Pickups

A couple of years ago I was working for a ministry, not making a lot of money. For 4 years, we'd made it being a one vehicle family, occassionally borrowing a vehicle from my in-laws when the 2nd vechicle became necessary. Doreen was going back to school soon, and things were happening so we were starting to look for a second vehicle.

My parents had just purchased a brand new Dodge pickup to have and to pull their 5th wheel. They wanted to get rid of the old pick-up they had, a 1981 Dodge Powerwagon that had been used hard before my dad got a hold of it. So they asked me if I wanted it - talking about timing - yeah!!!

So they brought it out. We had some stuff to get it legal in Hamilton County, TN. I drove it for quite a while. Used 4WD to pull a trailer with a 25' satellite dish up the side of a mountain. Coolness! It came in handy. Of course it GUZZLED gas, but I wasn't driving too much.

Well, gas prices started climbing steadily, and the girls were getting bigger and I needed something not quite so big to drive back and forth to my new job. My father-in-law found a 1999 Ford Ranger, King Cab, for a steal. We couldn't pass it up. So we bought it.

We tried for a while to sell, Iggy, with little luck. We had a few bites - but nothing serious. Eventually the 'For Sale' window paint came off the windshield, and the battery died, a hose leaked out most of the gas, and I just didn't have the time, energy or interest to do anything with it. So it sat for a while.

The little "For Sale" info sheet I printed off was still in the window, and would get scattered calls on it. Again, Nothing serious.

Well, one day on a trip, I get a call from a guy who's interested. Then we had plans right after I got home, so I couldn't get with him for about a week. When I called him back, he was ready to check it out.

I scrambled, got some gas in it, bought a battery, tighened the hose and a few more things. He took it for a test drive, and wham-o bought it.

Just the day before I'd taken the Ranger into the shop with some complaints about the front end. Turned out, it needed $800 worth of work on it. I believe God had Iggy not sell until we needed the money to cover some work on the Ranger.

What an enormous blessing!!

Don't you just LOVE God's timing??!!

No comments: