Friday, October 13, 2006

Why Are 'They" THAT Way???

We've got some friends that I'm having a hard time understanding. In fact they're pretty much - in some ways, downright annoying. I write about this because I'm trying to think through if we're just too caloused, or 'in the world' or justified in our thoughts.

These friends are pretty, apparently very, conservative. It started at a get-together this summer. It was kind of a potluck thing, and she sweetly asked people to bring things that were 'regular' - for the lack of my mind thinking of a better word - and vegan. (No dairy) I was on a trip, so I wasn't there - I was on a trip to MI probably, but some of 'those' who were vegan (Those there other than our friends) apparently kinda made a, I'm gonna use the word 'Scene' for the lack of a better word and kinda harsh, but yet it does describe how they kinda acting trying to find the 'vegan' dishes. Now our friend didn't make a big deal - she was very nonchalant about it.

Another time, they were talking to us about 'guns' because she is apparently concerned about them. Their little boy isn't allowed any interaction with anything that resembles a firearm. We shared our thoughts with them.

Then another time, Doreen was talking about the kids singing at church and she asked if the music, "Had a beat" to it.

Then finally in talking about camping, her husband is not going to be around, so she decided not to 'camp' but to attend the event. "Besides - she didn't want to put her 'tent' up on Sabbath.

Now we have some other friends, who are kind of conservative in their ways, and we NEVER hear any of these statements, or questions (that have the intention of informing us of their strong beliefs.) or anything from them. They are very, VERY nice people and super thoughtful.

So am I a bit calloused by feeling annoyed at the Music Beat question, or the putting up a tent on Sabbath or watching people make a 'deal' about finding the 'vegan' dishes?

Why is it 'these' people, and why is it typically the extremely conservative crowd, are this way? Why do they 'HAVE' to let you know their conservative feelings - and then I do not enjoy my time around them nearly as much for fear of discussing a topic that would 'offend' their sensibilities in some way.

When Doreen told me about the "Putting the tent up on Sabbath thing" I was really annoyed because it's like - back to being a Pharasee or Saducee and having a little irritating law about every little thing. So can I shave on Sabbath? Can I open my refrigerator door on Sabbath - is that working?

Oy vai!!!

And why are these people always worried about a 'beat?' ANY orchestra or band music - "Has a Beat." Does that make that music evil as well?

So, am I callused or justified in my feelings?

I don't know - "do they have a beat?"

He, he, he!!!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I hate people like that. My thoughts... you should A)stop calling them friends, and B)do all kinds of fun stuff to annoy the crap outta them! But that's just me.

Roseuvsharon said...

scott has some pretty good advice.

Usually, the most vocal people about something where they feel they have to "make a scene" about it, as you described, are typically insecure in their beliefs and are trying to justify themselves. Notice, I said typically, not always.

About the tent on Sabbath....hmmmm......

I have three children, and my husband isn't always able to go on weekend events because he works on Saturday mornings before church and then all day on Sundays. So, weekend campouts pretty much don't exist for us unless miracles happen. However, with kids in tow and a Sabbath to enjoy and relish in, I sure hate putting up a tent. It wears me out faster than anything. So, I wouldn't say that it is something you have to avoid, but I sure want to, if you know what I mean!

Trailady said...

Okay, been there- DONE that whole scene and I can tell you, I was VERY HAPPY to let everyone know about my "convictions" on everything. I was very proud of how strict we were and even though we were secretly miserable because we denied ourselves anything and everything pleasurable- including marital relations- we felt everyone else should quit slacking and be as careful as we were not to offend God. Thank GOD we have been rescued from that bondage!

Now, I find it annoying when other people act like that and I'm embarassed that I was ever that way. SO obnoxious and misguided!!

Thank God we can rest in Christ and have life more abundant! :o)