Friday, April 07, 2006

Basket Building, Travels & Memories

Done a lot of traveling this past week. A LOT. A lot more than usual anyway. :) I actually drove right by this building in Newark, OH. It's the Longaberger Company and if you have to ask what they make - don't even bother!! :) It actually Shocked the socks off me when I first saw it. Cool though.


We had a pick-up in Lexington, KY and on the way back to the interstate to continue our trip west, we drove right by a dozen or so big beautiful horse farms. Gorgeous!!!

We also drove through this city, Louisville. It's got a beautiful riverfront and we were blessed to hit it about sunset. What an awesome view to enjoy while driving long hours.

In my previous job I took a business trip to Louisville, and I made some time to tour the Louisville Slugger plant. But we could still see the bat and outside of the building as we drove into the sunset.

This trip took us through the Gateway to America's west. This is a very, VERY neat site at night. I always get a little excited about seeing the Arch as I drive closer and closer to St Louis.

We also drove past Bush Stadium, the St Louis Cardnals Baseball team home venue. I don't know if they were playing that night, but it was lit up like a roman candle and awesome to see.

One other city I drove through was Fenton, MO - the HQ for United Van Lines is right next to the Interstate, so I got to see that again and be reminded - I've got a much better job. We enjoyed our time out there and did well financially, but it was tiring! :)

We zipped passed Six Flags over St Louis and it brought back memories of living in S Illinois and all the friends we made while living there. The most standout memory from visiting 6 Flags one summer was Jozsef P and Mo Mo in a 'drive 'em car' following Doreen and I. :)

While driving through the drops in OH, we also passed the amusement park, Kings Island - where I was finally tall enough to ride my first 'real' roller-coaster, "The Beast." It is wooden and fast. What a ride that was with my dad and I on it. Whoooo hoooo! It was even more the better because I remember a couple of Sundays having 'garage sales' to get rid of some of our junk and come up with enough money for a family of 5 to go!!!

Also, on this trip we got into Oklahoma and zipped right through the town of Muskogee, OK - a cursed town. My first year of college, the night before a big algebra final, a friend, Keith E came up to me with a request. He had loaned his car to a friend to go home for the weekend - and the friend came back without the car, so we both jump in my car and according to the 'friends' directions the car was sitting in a Burger King parking lot in Muskogee, OK. Well turns out that it was in McCalister, OK an hour south of Muskogee. So we spent HOURS searching for that dumb car, ended up giving up and came home. We had time to grab a quickie shower and get to the Algebra - which I promptly failed miserably.

He, he, he - it has been a good week. Lots of cool sites and locations and lots and LOTS of remembering!

"Here's to you family & friends!!!"

No comments: