Thursday, August 26, 2004

Moody Co-worker ruins the workday

Hey - how are ya? I'm glad we're into a new day! Yesterday was ok, other than beeing sleepy ALL DAY LONG because for the last two weeks I've been staying up to midnight watching the Olympics and getting up at 4am to get my day started to get to work at 5am, it was fine. I was getting lots of audio editing done at work and making. Then I have a co-worker come in and just lay into me. Then she has the gall to say it was my fault for yelling at her. Sheeesh!

The backstory -- here a LifeTalk Radio a year and a half ago, they had to downsize and laid off 3 people. That's fine - more work for me, but oh well - better to have more work in a job than no job (also read as paycheck LOL) at all. So we're doing fine then a co-worker's spouse gets a new job in Chattanooga (1 hour south of us here in Vonore, TN) so they move and the co-worker #1 wants to keep working, but only two days a week and commute. Fine. To fill in the other days we hire Co-worker #2 - who does a decent job but two weeks ago turned in a resigination. My boss convinces co-worker #2 to stay on a little longer - and co-worker #2 reluctantly agrees. So I was at church Sabbath talking with someone there and found out this person is looking for a part-time job, so I suggest this 'prospect' call me at work on Monday. The prospect calls and we talk together and with my boss and he decides to offer the prospect (now known as co-worker #3) a job, and it is accepted.

We call co-worker #1 and this person has a few questions and so we talk to supervisor and co-worker #2 and find answers and clear ALL up.

Fast forward to yesterday, co-worker #1 comes in and doesn't even say hi, but starts berating me about making changes so close to a major event we're having on the air. So I challenge the thoughts put before me (hindsight: listen and say interesting and then IGNORE co-worker, darn-it why didn't I do that??!!!) and offer various rebuttals and that intensifies co-workers response till we're pretty much hollering at each other until co-worker finally begins to 'tear up' then walks off to talk with the boss. (Don't know the outcome there - not my fault, not my problem!) Basically the co-worker was making accusations that the changes were my fault and I didn't take into consideration anything with co-worker's needs or wants. BS - We all need the consistant help and co-worker #2 DIDN'T WANT TO BE HERE. So we found co-worker #3 who WANTS to be here and who is competent and CAN do the job.

So now I'm considering writing an e-mail telling co-worker to take any complaints to the boss, completely leave me OUT OF IT (this is about the 3rd time that co-worker has pulled this type of crap, coming in and throwing a fit at me - besides I DON'T HAVE ANY POWER TO MAKE CHANGES OR DECISIONS - I just made a suggestions and the BOSS ran with it, NOT ME) and to take a chill pill.

Thanks for letting me vent!!!!

1 comment:

The SSP said...

No - I learned from reading your story! :) No "F" bombs dropped, but lots of "You're not making any sense," "What are you talking about," "Listen to ME," "Where in the world is that coming from's." Ya know??!!