Monday, March 02, 2009

In Memorial - Jim Scriven

Today, our family will be remembering our Cousin, Jim Scriven. (He was my Dad's cousin, so that makes me a 1st Cousin Once Removed.)

Jim passed away last week while he was having dialysis. He became quite ill & had to be rushed to the hospital. He was admitted & at this time they say he had a blood infection & other complications. Sadly he never recovered.

But I just want to take a sec and share a couple of memories of Cousin Jim.

I rememeber the beard. You can see it in the pic, I'm not sure I have a memory of him without one.

I remember one time, just after we moved back to Colorado from Ohio, Jim came by for a visit. He took my best friend and I for a ride and we happened to spot some prairie dogs just hanging out in some nearby adobe hills. Jim stopped his car, ran to the trunk and pulled out a bag. From inside this bag he pulled a .357 pistol. Handed it to me and said, "get one." Farmers on the western slope of Colorado don't like prairie dogs - but that doesn't much matter. I took a couple of shots and missed them completely. They scattered and were back a couple minutes later and my friend tried his luck and missed too. Jim got a good chuckle out of that, put the gun away and we headed home. Good fun!

Another time on that same visit, he ran me into town so I could buy, with my own hard-earned lawn mowing money, my first pair of Nikes. They were a $70 dollar pair then. Pretty pricey for those days. (And at only making $2 an hour, a lot of work too.) Nice shoes, I liked them. I seem to remember my folks were kinda unhappy, more at me for actually 'blowing' my money on them, than at Jim for actually taking me.

The other thing I remember about Jim were April and JJ - my 2nd cousins - his kids. I loved being around them, so I thoroughly enjoyed it when we were around Jim cuz I got to have some good cousin time.

Jim Scriven had a lot of challenges in his life, but he left his own special mark on each of ours. Jim - you will be missed. Wish we could be there in person to say goodbye, but that's not possible. Thanks for being a great 'cousin!'

No comments: