Tuesday, July 10, 2007

Thankful for Problems

The other night I got back from a trip at 11p and hopped in the pick-up to head home. I started hearing this AWFUL racket from underneath. Oh man. I drove a little farther and it got worse.

So I limped it to the mechanic and left it. Got a ride home thanks to my father-in-law who happened to be home.

I'd been noticing the smell of anti-freeze occasionally when I drove it - so had the mechanic look at that as well.

He looked at the awful noise I heard and found out that it was only a heat shield that partially fell off the bottom of the vehicle and was hanging on the drive shaft making a terrible noise.

Easy fix...

...What wasn't so easy was the anti-freeze I was smelling was a leak from a broken radiator. When he had the radiator off, he noticed that the timing belt was seriously cracked and about to bust. (I looked at the thing personally and was suprised it still held together.)

So because of an awful racket I heard one night, and a couple hundered dollars of work, we saved a bundle with an over heated engine or a busted timing belt screwing up the inside of the engine.

So, we're thankful for problems! :)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I hate vehicles.

Anonymous said...

yeah FORDS. It seems it is all vihicles any more. Although we have had preaty good luck with this new Dodge however we have had to replace all the U-Joints. It seems the Mexicans that put the truck together didn't bother to gease the u-joints when they assembleed them. This is saving money?
Pop