Sunday, May 29, 2005

Memorial Day Movies

Doreen and I have caught a few movies this weekend. Last night, I had the option of watching Stepmom with Doreen or Star Wars 3 at my computer.

Sorry gals, had to choose Star Wars. JR & SS acting is ok, but I just can't stand their politics, so they really bug me. We watched over half of Pretty Woman (Can't stand Richard Gere either, but that's not a bad movie.)

Tonight we watched Oceans 12. It was OK - but a HUGE let-down after Oceans 11.

The story wasn't nearly as well written as the first. Oceans 11 had so many twists and turns, but kept you in it all along with one huge suprise. Oceans 12 keeps you in the dark about the actual event and is just a bunch of jibber-jabber until the big reveal. Usually when Doreen asks me what something means or why something happened in a movie, I can tell her - but I was befuddled a many a time in this one.

So is that a testiment to the quality of writting when the first one was written, or an indictment on the writting of today?

Of course it could be a simple revelation of my actually being an idiot!

Have a Very Happy Memorial day! (I will cuz I don't have to be to work AT ALL! PTL!!!)

He, he, he!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Are you sure you watched Star Wars 3 on your computer, or was it 6? I hate it when people use personal politics as reason not to watch particular movies. Sorry, that's just ASSinine. What does anyone's personal politics have to do with anything? It IS a free country, they do have the right to believe however they want to believe and it doesn't have to be the same as you or anyone else. Your dad does this too (because he listens to too much talk radio) and it drives me nuts. NUTS! Wow, that's a little bit of a rant I got going there isn't it? I'll step down from my box... for now.

The SSP said...

Nope, it was #3 man. One of my guys downloaded it from the web - so I got to watch it on my 'puter.'

You know this whole thing with stars and their personal politics is fine. You know if they believe the way they do and just live a normal life - that's fine. And yes it is a free country for people to choose what path they want to walk. But when they use their 'stardom' to promote their agenda (ie Barbara Striesand) and are called up to (used by politicians) Capitol Hill in Washington DC to testify as an expert witness (Susan Sarandon on AIDS) instead of using an actual expert, or when actors get involved in things they know little or nothing about, like war (See Jane Fonda in Vietnam and Sean Penn in Iraq) then they REALLY bug. You know??! That's what bothers me. If they choose to 'vote' opposite me, fine - I'm down with that, but to take advantage of their status as a star and role model is annoying. At the awards shows, like the Oscars, when they win and take the time to 'further' their cause or bash the Prez cuz he's of the opposite party than they are, I mean come on, this is a movie show ya know??!! Because it is a free country, I too have the freedom to not appreciate their work as much becasue of their actions off screen. Ya know man??!!

Ok - I too will step off my box! :)