Sunday, May 09, 2010

Dogs Communicating

This morning as I was headed to a 'pit stop' before coming down to the computer for a bit, I happened to glance out the window and had to stop and watch a bit.

Mocha, our dog, was standing about 5 feet from our back fence, facing towards where our neighbors have two dogs and she was barking her head off, and so were probably 90% of the canines in our neighborhood.

I was gonna go out and 'hush' the mutt, then I noticed her tail was sticking 'straight up' while she was barking. I've never noticed her doing that before. Plus it wasn't a 'snarly' bark, like I've heard her have occasionally when a 'stranger' is going by.

So I stood there and watched Mocha continue to bark, in that same position for a couple of minutes. Then the entire canine neighborhood went silent, Mocha dropped her 'flag pole' tail and trotted off to a different part of the yard.

Odd, I thought.

Then the scene from the movie 101 Dalmatians popped into my head where the dogs were all sending a message up the line as to where the puppies were.

I wonder if that's what the dogs in our neighborhood were doing this morning?

Hummmm???

**GRIN**

2 comments:

WhiteTrek said...

As intelligent as dogs are, it seems highly likely that you witnessed their version of "The Midnight Bark."

Mrs. Wakeandahalf said...

Yes, they were "talking". The straight up tail means excitement, not necessarily a bad kind, just excited. It might not mean much of anything to us, a cat is on the prowl three blocks away or something equally mundane to us. But it's news to them.