Saturday, June 27, 2009

Funeral for a Chicken

On the Sabbath that the Ashlocks were visiting, we let the kids go outside and play with the chickens a bit. When they came inside we let the chickens roam a bit for exercise and to get used to our yard and to just scratch and peck till their little hearts desire. Mocha and the chickens got along fabulously. We'd let them out together for about 3 weeks, the first two with close supervision and lots of Mocha training.

Well, when I went to put the chickens up for the night, I could only find Peepers in the roost. No sign of Tweedles. I grabbed my flashlight and found a lifeless Tweedles with Mocha not far away. I can't prove it, but I'm guessing that Mocha took Tweedles out.

I got super mad and then upset we'd have to tell Joelle in the morning.

Well, you can be assured that went over like a ton of bricks! Here's Joelle burying Tweedles.

By the way, we did learn our lesson. Mocha is now kept in a safe place away from the Chickens when they're roaming the yard.






Here's the other little mourners watching. (I had to run an errand not long after this and from what Doreen tells me, they had quite the drama with all three of them crying and very sad. We're extremely bummed about it, but it was a good time to explain evil and how things die in this life, but in Heaven nothing will ever get hurt again!)









Poor Joelle saying a final farewell to Tweedles. We were blessed by the distraction of heading to Summer camp that afternoon.

We talked with our friends and we'll be headed up there for another visit and we'll get Joelle Tweedles 2!

No comments: